A dynamic industrial, globally competitive South African economy, characterised by meaningful economic transformation, inclusive growth and development, decent employment and equity, built on the full potential of all citizens.
the dtic’s Mission is to:
- Promote structural transformation, towards a dynamic industrial and globally competitive economy
- Provide a predictable, competitive, equitable and socially responsible environment, conducive to investment, trade and enterprise development
- Broaden participation in the economy to strengthen economic development
- Continually improve the skills and capabilities of the dtic to effectively deliver on its mandate and respond to the needs of South Africa’s economic citizens
- Co-ordinate the contributions of government departments, state entities and civil society to effect economic development
- Improve alignment between economic policies, plans of the state, its agencies, government’s political and economic objectives and mandate
the dtic’s Values are:
- Promotes the Constitution, with special reference to the chapters on human rights, cooperative governance and public administration
- It promotes decent work outcomes (more jobs as well as better jobs), industrialisation, equitable and inclusive growth and social inclusion
- Operational excellence – service delivery standards, international best practice, Batho Pele Principles, continuous improvement and ethical conduct
- Intellectual excellence – continuous shared learning, innovation, relevant knowledge and skills improvement and knowledge management
- Quality relationships – improved and continuous communication, honesty, respect, integrity, transparency, professionalism, ownership, leadership and teamwork
The Department of Science and Innovation
The Department of Science and Innovation seeks to boost socio-economic development in South Africa science, technology and innovation (STI) in support of manufacturing. Advanced Manufacturing is one of the areas envisaged to drive future production and competitiveness globally. Prioritisation Advanced Manufacturing is informed by sustained investment support and progress in the national system of innovation (NSI) over the years in building critical mass, world-class competencies, RDI funding instruments and pilot facilities in technology focal areas. The DSI, through its Decadal Plan intends to leverage existing capabilities to ensure that STI solutions are available to boost the technological intensity of manufacturing firms through the adoption of high-tech, new thinking for new and mature industries – increasing competitiveness and foreign revenue. Manufacturing, as well as other sectors of the economy, can benefit enormously from the technology convergence approach, leading to improved productivity, product development agility and sustainable production processes.
The Department of Science and Innovation: Making Sure It’s Possible
We are the development agency of the African Union, coordinating and executing priority regional and continental development projects to promote regional integration towards the accelerated realisation of Agenda 2063 – Africa’s vision and action plan. We are mandated to strengthen capacity of Member States and regional bodies.